Sunday, February 14, 2010

Risk/Reward

Finding the hidden gems that you are specifically seeking is one of the toughest games I have ever played. I tend to be the type of person who finds a restaurant I like, the item on the menu that I like, and stick with it. I don't feel that I lack adventure in this way [although many may beg to differ] but why should I spread my wings if I am guaranteed to love my usual?? There are times when Louie and I go out to eat and we branch out into the edible unknown, but more often than not make eye contact and say: "Should've stuck with the usual".

It doesn't just stop with food. I am that way with jeans, shoes, and colors. This is not to say that every once in a while the blue shard of glass in the dirt doesn't catch my attention and I am led slowly at a steady pace towards the shiny thing glimmering in the sun, but would I carry a bag in that same color? Nah. So I stick with what I am passionate about. The most rich, soft chocolate brown I can find. The perfect creme that reminds you of something you would find in an old antique trunk. A light buttery brown that looks like it is melting when you fold it. I know I like something when I catch myself going "ooOOOoOooo" upon discovery. And Louie made me swear I wouldn't say anything..................... but I even caught him "ooOoOo-ing" once.

But isn't it time that I risk ordering something that I might like…even more??

Bali demands risks of all kinds to find exactly what you're looking for, or even something you didn't know you were looking for. You will be disappointed a thousand times, and sweaty to boot by the end of it…and sometimes you won't find anything at all. Its not like there is an industrial sized JoAnne's around the corner. In fact, before I got here, I had no idea that the materials and hardware would be so spread out. You have to take risks to get rewards so you have to keep trucking on even when it seems like your dream fabric is no where to be found. I was told once that the view from the top of the mountain is so much sweeter when you climb it, rather than drive to it. It takes climbing a mountain to understand that feeling. Let me tell you, that person was right.

1 comment:

  1. oh sister, i hear you... i've climbed a few mountains in chile. and boy. what a view. thanks life. <3

    ReplyDelete