I have arrived to the point where I have done all I can possibly do and now everything is in a magical limbo where I have nothing left to work on, and I have nothing solid in my hands. The we- don't- have- enough- time- for- this- waiting game. This feeling follows me everywhere. When we first ventured into Mended Mosaic, I wanted everything I had ever looked for in fashion to become a reality. We walked in blind and walked out with a product that got an enthusiastic response. The next year we came back and refined what we started with and again, came back and were even more pleased with the results. After learning everything we did the first round, we were able to take that education and melt it together with vision. At this point in my business, I have reached a new level of critique. Centimeter by centimeter; stitch by stitch. Custom zippers, custom buttons, an upgrade with our labels…. all the little things are suddenly becoming speed bumps for time, because we really really really want to make it just right. I know that its all a part of the process, but its like sending back a meal over and over again until its absolutely perfect. When is the point where you have to just eat your food, and accept it for what it is?
I can't.
I found this beautiful ornate piece of hardware I want to use for a clutch. After my sample came back, the design was so close to what I wanted. It was a great rough draft, anyway. However, the piece broke. I went back to the store to see if there was an alternative to this certain piece but there wasn't. I am hanging out with Denial and he is such poor company. I stare at the sample thinking that if I just adjust how it was made, then maybe? Of course, there is also the possibility that I am refusing to admit I have to change my vision.
It doesn't help that our time is ticking past us and I am at the point where I think I am finally starting to panic. It all just takes so much time. I just keep waiting for Tuesday when I will finally get back 4 jackets and a bag. I doubt I will be able to relax until then because I know I will be thinking that there has to be something else I can be doing.
But there isn't.
From here, we just wait. We wait until it comes back, make the proper adjustments and do again.
It all works out in the end, right?
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment