Two things I seem to forget when I return to Bali. The extreme humidity, first of all - and the power going out over the entire island. I am thankful that this time around our electric isn't hooked up to the water pump, so when the candles and flashlight are all we have, at least we can flush the toilet. So here I am sitting here in the candlelight, with just enough power to [hopefully] complete a post.
Today we ran around looking for new hardware. In some of these shops there is overwhelming visual stimulation: millions of bags of tiny little studs, grommets, zippers, closures, belt buckles, o-rings, d-rings, lobster clips, and on and on… True to form, today felt like a monopoly board and we were the pawns, following the suit of the dice.
Ending on a good note, rough drafts of 2 samples are back and 2 more to grab tomorrow. The jacket has incredible leather, tiny ruffles and tiny studs. Simple lines, flattering cut, and the sleeves are so nice and tailored. This victorian style jacket needs just a little more edge before its where I want it to be. So, onward I go, sitting with the jacket until I what it needs. I like to think our style has an underlying theme to it…edge and romance locked in the same room with no where to go. I am trying to bring the edge into this one, so it stays more Mended Mosaic, instead of Tea Time.
A little over 3 weeks and I keep telling myself that we are moving at a good pace, but patience has never been my best virtue. Even after we submit our samples, I'm right back in what Louie fondly calls my "office" with splayed out pieces of paper and a measuring tape, working on the next one. Even after my initial design is complete, I still keep trying new ideas like trying new dresses on my paper dolls …survival of the fittest, so to speak.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Was thinking alot about you two today. It's a wonderful thing to alt-tab over and read a bit about what's going on personal wise with you both. A part of me is with you feeling that humidity, smelling the nature, being with the energy there. I love you both dearly.
ReplyDeleteI miss you and can't wait for my new jacket. ;)
ReplyDeleteOOF! I know what it's like when the power goes out and you can't flush the toilet, OR take a hot shower (because the 'water heater' is an electronic device with wires sticking out of it that is attached to the shower faucet itself). I got pretty good at flushing toilets manually with a bucket of water, tho, the last time I was in Central America. Can't wait to see what you bring home. Take many risks! Because remember.. you can always modify stuff as you go.. it's like writing an essay.. the best stuff comes out when you're in a flow. Edit it down later. Trust in your raw talent. Love you both!
ReplyDelete